Venereal diseases is a crippling factor in reproduction and herd management. Fast, accurate and sensitive diagnostic techniques play an important role in the control of venereal diseases. We are proud that our 26-year experience in respect of Trichomoniases in this field is also currently being rolled out to other countries on the African continent.
Vriesit Molecular Services
The Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method utilizes the process of DNA replication to amplify specific DNA segments in vitro. This technique has a vast range of applications, including the field of veterinary diagnostics. The use of PCR in diagnostics entails the design of highly specific probes to each pathogen of interest. These probes recognize and amplify the target DNA, which is detected by gel electrophoresis after the PCR process is completed. In quantitative PCR (qPCR), DNA amplification is detected in real time during the PCR process. This eliminates the need for gel electrophoresis.
Vriesit has established a Real Time PCR laboratory (qPCR) to enhance its diagnostic services. This laboratory utilizes the latest qPCR technology to render highly accurate and sensitive results from field samples.
Advantages of qPCR :
- Faster acquisition of results with real time detection.
- Each individual qPCR reaction contains an internal positive control to ensure that the entire procedure (from DNA extraction to the qPCR reaction) was performed correctly. This control also indicates whether PCR inhibitors are present in a sample.
- qPCR can be designed to be more specific than conventional PCR with the addition of an extra probe specific to the pathogen of interest. This technique also minimizes the detection of non-specific DNA amplification.
- Increased reproducibility and higher robustness.
- qPCR is a highly sensitive method that as far less susceptible to varying and poor sampling conditions than both conventional PCR and culture methods.
- Very low copy numbers of template DNA (organisms) can be detected and the organisms do not need to be viable in order to be detected. Therefore, if the organisms perish during sampling and transport to the testing laboratory, it can still be detected by the qPCR method.
- qPCR can render highly accurate results.
The qPCR laboratory currently offers the following tests
- Tritrichomonas foetus identification (qPCR)
- Campylobacter fetus identification (qPCR)
Vriesit parentage testing
Vriesit now offers DNA profiling and Parentage testing of cattle and horses. The laboratory uses the International Panel of Microsatellites that is employed by the International Society of Animal Genetics (ISAG). The bovine and equine ISAG panels contain 12 and 17 microsatellite markers respectively. DNA profiles generated by our laboratory are comparable to profiles generated by other laboratories that utilize the ISAG microsatellite panels and guidelines. The laboratory is registered with ISAG (Member 93401) and participates in their annual Comparison Testing Program.
The laboratory utilizes Life Technologies’ latest 3500XL Genetic Analyzers. This system makes use of standardized pre-made and RIFD tagged reagents, which leads to highly accurate and repeatable results.
- Blood on FTA cards / in EDTA tubes (at least 1ml)
- Biopsy dart